Senegal's prime minister and Nigeria's former president have both said they do not believe the ousting of Guinea-Bissau's president by the country's military was a genuine coup.
Former President Umaro Sissoco Embaló's apparent removal came a day before authorities were due to announce election results.
The military has since suspended the electoral process and blocked the results' release, insisting it thwarted a plot to destabilise the politically unstable country.
Senegal's PM Ousmane Sonko and Nigeria's ex-leader Goodluck Jonathan demanded the presidential election results be released, but did not provide evidence to support their claims the coup was fabricated.
The ex-president arrived in neighbouring Senegal on a chartered military flight late on Thursday, following his release by the military forces who toppled his government.
Nigeria's former leader Jonathan, who led a team of election observers from the West African Elders Forum to Guinea-Bissau, stated the incident was not a coup and described it as a ceremonial coup.
He questioned the events that preceded the announcement of a power grab by the military.
Embaló phoned French TV station France 24 declaring: I have been deposed. Meanwhile, Sonko told lawmakers that what happened in Guinea-Bissau was a sham.
The statements add to claims by the opposition that the coup was staged, although none has so far presented evidence.
On Friday, Guinea-Bissau's transitional leader Gen Horta N'Tam appointed Ilidio Vieira Té as the new prime minister. The African Union suspended Guinea-Bissau following the military takeover, with the Ecowas bloc echoing this demand for a return to order.
According to local residents, reactions have divided, with some hopeful for military governance to improve living conditions, while others express fears of increased chaos.


















