Afghans living in the US have condemned Wednesday's 'deeply tragic' deadly shooting attack in Washington DC, while stressing that the suspect - who moved to the US from Afghanistan four years ago - does not represent them.
The alleged gunman, 29-year-old Rahmanullah Lakanwal, entered America under a programme that offered special immigration protections to Afghans who worked with the US in the wake of its troop withdrawal from Afghanistan in 2021.
National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, 20, was killed in Wednesday's shooting, and a colleague, Andrew Wolfe, 24, is said to be fighting for his life.
In response, US President Trump has halted the processing of all immigration requests from Afghans, ordered a review of green cards issued to individuals from 19 countries, and threatened a wider crackdown on migrants from what he calls 'third-world countries'.
The Afghan Community Coalition of United States expressed its sympathy for families of the victims, calling for a 'comprehensive investigation' but urging the US government not to delay or suspend Afghan immigration claims.
Afghans in America told the BBC they had been horrified by the Washington DC attack, emphasizing that it was the act of just one person. They remain grateful to America for the evacuation efforts during the crisis in Kabul.
Crystal Bayat, an Afghan human rights activist who moved to the US after 2021, said that despite having secured permanent residency, she fears abrupt changes in US migration policy. She called for President Trump to reconsider actions that could negatively impact Afghan immigrants, noting the risks faced by families still in Afghanistan.




















