When you get closer the heat rises and you can feel it and the smoke is really heavy, said Thomas Liu, a student drawn to the scene of the deadly fire that ravaged much of the Wang Fuk Court housing complex in Hong Kong's Tai Po district. This tragedy has reportedly claimed at least 44 lives with numbers expected to rise as the search continues for hundreds still unaccounted for.

The fire broke out on Wednesday, engulfing eight blocks of the complex. So far, three construction company executives have been arrested on suspicion of manslaughter in connection with the use of flammable materials that may have exacerbated the blaze.

Witnesses described scenes of despair as they relayed stories of those missing. Mui Siu-fung, a district councillor, mentioned the distressing calls she received from residents seeking news about their loved ones. Over a thousand people were evacuated, with shelters set up for those displaced.

As firefighters work to contain the blaze, residents voiced frustration with the response efforts. Complaints about inadequate safety measures and fire protocols have emerged, particularly regarding the materials found at the site.

The fire's spread was believed to be accelerated by mesh and plastic sheets found in the vicinity, which are not fireproof. Many are now blaming the local government for its handling of the situation, stating that the community deserves better in times of crisis.

Harry Cheung, a long-time resident of Wang Fuk Court, expressed disbelief at the unfolding tragedy, while others shared their concerns for friends and neighbors still trapped. With many residents left homeless and the community in mourning, calls for government assistance are growing louder. I am devastated. There are so many neighbours and friends. I do not know what is going on anymore, said Jason Kong, a resident reflecting the immense heartbreak felt throughout the community.